Help - Dual boot

Hi everybody,

I’m asking some advice and some help.

So, last august I bought a hp Pavillon - 15cs3013np, to substitute my old and now malfunction Toshiba Tegra 940.

Anyway my HP is with Windows 10 home Edition installed. So I tried to make a dual boot but no chance, no way. I’m just tired of seeking and trying all the solutions. I miss the time where there was no UEFI or sort of. Real mess.

So:
(the help part)

1. Where can I find a real working step-by-step solution? HP doesn’t care: it doesn’t support other OS that weren’t pre installed.
    (
    the advice part)
  2. Is it any way dangerous to format all the machine and use it all with Linux? Anda can I go back if something wrong?

Please help - I miss my Ubuntu…(and no, I don’t want to use a Windows Virtual Box to use it)

Best regards you all.

I would do #2, Ubuntu only. Windows is a security nightmare. No, you cant go back.
All your data will be deleted, make sure you have a backup of your data before you continue.
Download the version of Ubuntu you need and put it on a thumb drive using a boot loading program, LinuxBabe suggests these 5 programs
I use Balena Etcher I probably need to switch.
make sure that bios allows boot from usb. (i use F2 to enter my bios)
put thumb drive in and reboot, follow on screen instructions

for #1 this link

Hi Duffman and thankyou.

For the #1 I managed with the uefi settings, thank you.
For now I’m absolutely happy.
Maybe if this config goes wrong, I’ll use your advice tor the #2.

Thank you again for your care.

Hi all.

Now it works. The good, it really works.

The not so good: every time windows updates, grub disappears. The solution a UEFI reset made at the windows command line.

To do that, open the command line with administrator privileges and run the following command.

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

(thanks to Techwiser article " How to Fix Grub After Windows 10 Upgrade", https://techwiser.com/fix-grub-after-windows-10-upgrade/)

Thank you all.

Looks like you are not doing it the right way. I never have to restore Grub when dual booting Linux and Windows in UEFI mode.

I think I should write my own guide to dual-booting.

That would be helpful. Thank you LinuxBabe.

Yes, can you please do it?

I would recommend installing and using refind boot loader. Windows wont overwright it because it boots before the windows bootloader, as It is techinically a boot manager which boots to the bootloader (i.e. grub or your distro’s default boot manager). Second of all, Linuxbabe is correct. If windows updates are overwriting your grub bootloader, then something is not right. I would recommend backing up windows, doing a full erase and clean install, then reinstalling your linux distro on top of that. Most linux distro’s now a days will automatically partition your drive and properly set up your grub bootloader if you are creating a dual boot system. However, again, I would still try installing refind on top of your dual boot system, and that should give you a clean pretty, customizable boot selector screen at boot, in which you can load windows, windows boot manager, grub, or just boot directly to linux while skipping grub. If you dont want to take that route, and you are still dealing with windows updates overriding your grub boot configuration, i would recommend booting from a linux live cd and using the command line tool called efibootmgr. In the terminal from your live cd run sudo efibootmgr. This will show you the order of bootloaders and os’s that your computer uses to boot from. From there you can change which bootloader your computer boots when it initializes. Aside from re-selecting grub boot loader from your bios menu, this is a MUCH better and SAFER way to adjust your bootloader settings. Once you are logged into a debian based linux live cd, you can open up the terminal and run the command sudo efibootmanager, which will show you a list of bootloaders, and which order your computer uses them in upon initialization. Once you figure out which system you want to boot from you can run sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,0001,0002,0003,etc. where 0000,0001,0002,0003 are the numbers that coincide with their respective bootloader that you discovered from running the first (or second) command. The computer will then boot the first entry in that list (0000,0001,0002,0006,0003,0005) whatever it may be, and if that bootloader is not available, or the drive that it corresponds to is disconnected, then it will run down the list attempting to boot from the second entry in the list, then the third, then the fourth, and so forth, until it finds a bootloader that is present and functional. So if you boot ubuntu from an external disk, and it is the first entry in your efibootmgr list, but that disk is disconnnected, your computer will then default to boot into your second entry, which for your intents and purposes, should be windows. Once your ubuntu drive is reconnected, it will then boot into grub and load ubuntu, or let you select windows boot from the grub menu.